The Austin area is known for its large number of sports and recreational facilities. Ranging from University facilities to organized sports teams, there are plenty of sports and recreation opportunities available to visitors and to residents of the Austin area.
The Austin area is home to a number of colleges, each having its own sports teams. These colleges include:
- Texas State University – San Marcos (www.txstatebobcats.collegesports.com)
- Concordia University (www.athletics.concordia.edu)
- Houston-Tilloston (www.htu.edu/Home/CurrentStudents/Athletics)
- Southwestern University (www.southwestern.edu/athletics)
- St. Edward’s University (www.stedwards.edu/athletics/athletic.htm)
Each of these universities has active sports schedules, which can be viewed by accessing their respective websites.
In addition to its college teams, the city of Austin has a number of teams involved in a variety of different sports. Some of these include:
- Austin Ice Bats (www.icebats.com) – An official CHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild of the National Hockey League as well as the Houston Aeros of the American Hockey League
- Austin Toros (www.nba.com/dleague/austin) – An NBA Development League that plays home games in the Austin Convention Center
- Austin Wranglers (www.austinwranglers.com) - An American Football team that began as an expansion team in the Arena Football League in 2004. The team plays home games at the Frank Erwin Center, which his located on the campus of the University of Texas.
- Round Rock Express (www.roundrockexpress.com) - A minor league baseball franchise that plays at the Dell Diamond Crowds stadium located at The Dell Diamond.
With so many leagues in such a variety of sports, there are plenty of opportunities for sports fans to take in a good game in Austin.
For those that prefer getting being active, there are several recreational facilities in the Austin area. The facilities offer a number of different activities, including:
- Field Trips
- Sports Leagues
- Youth Camps
They also offer a variety of different sports activities for youth, including:
With over two dozen recreational facilities to choose from in Austin, there is certainly something for everyone.
Hiking and Biking in Austin
Those that enjoy hiking and biking, there are also plenty of trails to enjoy. These include:
- Boggy Creek Greenbelt – 1.16 miles
- Circle C Ranch Metropolitan Park on Slaughter Creek and the Veloway – 2.19 (Metro) and 3.17 (Veloway)
- Dick Nichols District Park and Latta Branch Greenbelt – 1.25/1.46 miles
- Dove Springs District Park – 1.32 miles
- Eilers Park – 0.25 miles
- Lower Bull Creek Greenbelt and Park District – 3.43 mile loop
- MaryMoore Searight Park – 3.73 (Metro) and 2.05 (Equestrian)
- Quail creek Park - 0.67 miles
- Stephenson Preserve – 1.02 miles
- Waller Creek Greenbelt and Waterloo Park – 2.46 miles
- Zilker Neighborhood – 0.27 miles
No matter your recreational interest, you can make it happen in Austin! If you are considering relocating to the area please give us a call!
Cantera Real Estate - 1-800-790-7910